GSI Outdoors Joins Prana’s Responsible Packaging Movement
October 16, 2020
SPOKANE, WA —GSI Outdoors, the family-owned maker of innovative outdoor cooking and dining gear, has joined Prana’s Responsible Packaging Movement. GSI Outdoors was early to adopt sustainability measures, and continues to investigate ways to make the business’s environmental footprint as light as possible.
“Here at GSI we are committed to sustainability and reducing our carbon footprint so future generations can enjoy the outdoors.” said Ian Scott.“Sustainability is a continually evolving process as we look at new organizations, methods, and materials. Starting with our design team, to our suppliers, to using as many recycled, recyclable, and environmentally friendly materials as possible. We look at every aspect to see where we can help minimize the impact on the surrounding environment.”
GSI Outdoors has several commitments surrounding sustainable packaging.
- All new product lines use non-plastic packaging beginning in 2021, wherever possible
- Phase out plastic packaging in existing product lines by 2023, wherever possible
- All paper packaging partially or fully sourced from recycled sources by 2023
- Identify all sources of virgin and non-FSC forest fibers in paper packaging by 2021
- Phase out all virgin or non-FSC forest fibers in paper packaging by 2023
- Switch from traditional to paper tape for all in-house repackaging wherever possible starting 2021
- Investigate other opportunities to reduce packaging waste
While prAna, started their journey towards more sustainable packaging back in 2010, The Responsible Packaging Movement is asking fellow brands, and the worldwide prAna community, to join the journey towards eliminating excess packaging waste from supply chains in a responsible, long-lasting way. And asking people to tag the journey #ReshapePackaging allowing others to learn more sustainable practices.
Over the years, GSI Outdoors has also forged strong relationships with nonprofits and environmental causes, giving back to organizations including The Conservation Alliance, Leave No Trace, The Sam Project, and Outdoors Empowered. GSI Outdoors routinely sends spare or replacement parts to customers, believing it’s always better to repair a product than replace outright.
About GSI Outdoors
Always a small, family-owned company, GSI Outdoors makes hydration, cookware and dining products that bring the comfort of home cooking practices to the great outdoors. Since 1985, GSI Outdoors has produced innovative dining gear for use at the campsite, bivy, on the trail, and everywhere in between. Learn more at www.gsioutdoors.com and on Instagram at @gsioutdoors.