Kodiak Commits to Sustainability with “Built for What Matters” Initiative
July 7, 2021
Cambridge, Ontario, July 7, 2021– Kodiak, the 110-year-old Canadian boot brand, is taking steps to reduce its environmental footprint and improve sustainability through a new multi-year, multi-faceted initiative dubbed, Built for What Matters. The initiative kicks off with a focus on design and manufacturing, incorporating fewer, more sustainable materials and implementing manufacturing processes that are less impactful to the environment.
“The workwear category as a whole has a lot of work to do to make products that are less impactful to the planet,” said Karen McSorley, Kodiak Senior Brand Manager. “This initiative takes a holistic look at our design and manufacturing processes to identify opportunities to improve. It’s pretty simple really, we build footwear for exploring the planet and we need to do our part to help protect it.”
Likewise, in Fall 21 Kodiak has sourced leathers from ISA TanTec, tanneries that are rated gold for environmental responsibility by the Leather Working Group, a multi-stakeholder auditing group. Also, Kodiak has partnered with Evoco to create the new Comfortzone™ Eco footbed featuring a superior performing foam made with 70% plant-based biomass.
Kodiak is committed to:
- Work with partners that offer traceable recycled, organic and renewable materials
- Source leather from tanneries rated Silver, Gold or Platinum by the Leather Working Group
- Replace oil-based materials with plant-based alternatives
- Build for longevity and durability by integrating replaceable and repairable parts
- Strive for zero waste in owned and partner manufacturing facilities by considering recycling factory surplus and/or using post-consumer waste
- Limit the number of materials and trims used
- Thoughtfully assess each material choice that gives equal weight to environmental impact and intended end-use
For more information about Built For What Matters, please visit https://www.kodiakboots.com/eco.html.
About Kodiak: Founded in Ontario, Canada, Kodiak has been Canada’s Boot since 1910, outfitting generations of men and women with purpose-built premium boots for daily work and everyday exploration. Based in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada, with offices in Stratham, NH, Kodiak is best known as the maker of the original Greb Kodiak boot, the first leather work boot to be made waterproof with a combination of vulcanized rubber outsole construction and waterproof leather. To learn more about Kodiak, visit us at KodiakBoots.com or KodiakBoots.ca and follow @KodiakBoots on social media.
970.963.4873 ext. 1174