PeopleForBikes Coalition Board Meets to Discuss Embracing New Riders, Focusing on Bicycle Infrastructure
May 19, 2021
BOULDER, COLO (May 19, 2021) —The PeopleForBikes Coalition Board of Directors, composed of 22 of the bike industry’s top leaders, met virtually for their semi-annual gathering May 18.
The board’s primary topic of conversation was embracing the millions of Americans who discovered, or rediscovered, bicycling in 2020 and providing them with the proper bike infrastructure and encouragement to keep riding. The board and staff will double down on PeopleForBikes’mission of getting more people on bikes more often through advocating for fun, safe places to ride that are close to home through improved and expanded bicycling infrastructure, both on road and off. The board also discussed championing the benefits of electric bicycles at all levels of government and making them more easily accessible for all Americans.
The board paused to send support and positive thoughts to fellow board member and dear friend Bernie Doering, president of Stages Cycling and leader of PeopleForBikes’s Research and Statistics Subcommittee and BPSA Trade Association Committee. Doering was involved in a bike crash several weeks ago and is still recovering in the hospital.
The board approved five new members: Claudia Wasko, vice president of Bosch eBike Systems Americas; Allison Straub, president of Burley Design; Gloria Hwang, founder and CEO of Thousand; Rich Tauer, president of Quality Bicycle Products and Mike Radenbaugh, CEO and founder of Rad Power Bikes. Brandee Lepak, former president of the National Bicycle Dealers Association and owner of Global Bikes, and Adam Micklin, chair of the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association Trade Association Committee and vice president of global sales for Felt Bicycles, stepped down from their positions on the board and were thanked for their many years of service and dedication to the bike industry.
PeopleForBikes’ Vice President of Marketing and Communications Jose Maldonado presented to the board on new features available through the industry’s route-finding and storytelling platform, Ride Spot. The platform’s new “Challenge”features allow companies to reward riders for reaching frequency and mileage goals, providing a major incentive to keep new riders on their bikes. Maldonado displayed examples of how Coalition brands are using the platform to show their support of PeopleForBikes and be in the business of showcasing great bike rides.
Adam Micklin, chair of the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association Trade Association Committee, gave an update from the committee and many of the six coalition subcommittees. Topics included: working with the new U.S. Office of Trade and Congress on reducing Section 301 tariffs; expanding PeopleForBikes primary research and industry data available on the Business Intelligence Hub; industry diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and an expanded scope and increased capacity for electric bicycles and eMTBs.
PeopleForBikes Coalition Board of Directors
- Chair of the Board: Chris Speyer, Vice President Merchandising Product and Co-op Brands, REI
- Vice Chair: An Le, Global Marketing Director, Giant Bicycles
- Secretary: Michael Mercuri, Board Member, SRAM
- Treasurer: Pat Cunnane, President and COO, Yuba Bicycles
- Bob Burns, Vice President and Senior Legal Officer, Trek Bicycle Corporation
- Ian Christie, CEO, Summit Bicycles
- Bernie Doering, Senior Vice President, Global Sales and Marketing, Stages Cycling
- Joe Graney, CEO, Santa Cruz Bicycles
- Nick Hage, General Manager, Cycling Sports Group
- Gloria Hwang, Founder and CEO, Thousand
- Brandee Leepak, Owner, Global Bicycles
- Adam Micklin, Vice President of Sales, Bike Division, Rossignol Group and Vice President of Global Sales, Felt Bicycles
- Matt Moore, General Counsel, Quality Bicycle Products
- Nolan Moser, Assistant Vice President Bicycle Component Division, Shimano North America
- Larry Pizzi, Chief Commercial Officer, Alta Cycling Group
- Kim Price, Leader of Global Strategy, Specialized Bicycle Components
- Mike Radenbaugh, CEO and Founder, Rad Power Bikes
- Patrick Seidler, CEO, WTB
- Allison Straub, President, Burley Design
- Rich Tauer, President, Quality Bicycle Products
- Daniel Trujillo, Executive Vice President and Global Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer, Walmart
- Claudia Wasko, Vice President, Bosch eBike Systems Americas
PeopleForBikes is making biking better for everyone by uniting millions of Americans, thousands of businesses and hundreds of communities to make every bike ride safer, more accessible and more fun. The PeopleForBikes Coalition has 290 supplier members, 1,000 Ride Spot retailer members and 1.4 million supporters in its grassroots network. When people ride bikes, great things happen. Join us at PeopleForBikes.org.