Spoketober returns for 2nd annual Durango cycling celebration
September 27, 2023
The month-long initiative celebrates Durango’s diverse cycling community that goes far beyond the elite athletes the town is known for
DURANGO, Colo. (Sept. 27, 2023)/OUTDOOR SPORTSWIRE/ – Visit Durango is bringing back Spoketober for its second consecutive year of celebrating Durango’s tight-knit and passionate cycling community. The month-long calendar of events highlights the dedication and sweat equity its residents have committed to making Durango one of the top cycling destinations in the nation, featuring over 300 miles of singletrack trails and being home to numerous Olympians. The community cycling event will take place throughout Durango and La Plata County, Colo. for the entire month of October 2023.
After a successful inaugural edition in 2022, this year Spoketober aims to solidify its position as an annual cycling event that attracts locals and holds national sway, akin to Crankworx Whistler or the Sea Otter Classic. The initiative bolsters Durango’s cycling legacy and celebrates its diversity beyond the elite athletes the town is known for. Spoketober features a wide variety of inclusive cycling-centric events for all levels and disciplines, organized by local organizations, cycling teams, and retailers.
Spoketober is designed to be inclusive of all members of the cycling community and will include events such as a community group ride, a bicycle recycle and upcycle event, a costume bike parade with DEVO, a jump clinic and contest, and a chainless race on the BMX track. Additional activities to participate in throughout the month include various concerts, contests, clinics, and cycling celebrations. There will be prize giveaways, free stickers, and free posters at every Spoketober event. Local artist and cycling enthusiast Jon Bailey created the 2023 Spoketober collectible poster.
“We are amazed and elated by the local support Spoketober received since its launch in 2022,” says Rachel Welsh, PR and Communications Manager for Visit Durango. “This 2nd annual celebration is already proving to be bigger than the last, with many local organizations stepping up with new events and passionate support. Durango is one of the best places to be on a bike and the fall colors just add to the cycling magic.”
Spoketober 2023 Schedule of Events
- Oct. 4 – Anthony D’Amato performs at the Durango Hot Springs
- Oct 5 – Bike-In Movie Night featuring The Nightmare Before Christmas outside at the Durango Community Recreation Center
- Oct. 6-7 – iAM Music Festival Block Party
- Oct. 7 – Durango Fire Presents: Street Smarts, an educational event with a focus on being a safe driver, cyclist, and pedestrian
- Oct. 7 – Team Segment 28 and FLC Cycling Present: Durango Fall Blaze
- Oct. 8 – Spoketober Jump Clinic & Contest at Chapman Hill with Influencers Lain Van Ogle and Sean Kingsbury
- Oct. 12 – Segment 28 Zia Social No Drop Group Ride from Zia to the Starwars Trails
- Oct. 13-14 – Share the Love Cycle upcycle and recycle event at Buckley Park
- Oct. 14 – Solar Eclipse Viewing at the Durango Public Library
- Oct. 14 – Bike Prom Group Ride and Party at the Powerhouse Museum
- Oct. 15 – Spoketober Group Ride from FLC to Buckley Park
- Oct. 15 – Cycling Culture Celebration at Buckley Park (after the group ride)
- Oct. 18 – Bicycle Karaoke at 8th Ave Tavern
- Oct. 20 – Durango Slaydies Female Empowerment Group Ride
- Oct. 21 – Chainless Bike Race at the Durango BMX Track at Cundiff Park
- Oct. 23 – Adaptive Sports Association Community Ride
- Oct. 26 – Durango DEVO Halloween Costume Bike Parade & Party at the Powerhouse Museum
- Oct. 26 – Holy Cow Group Ride to Ska Brewing HQ
- Oct. 28 – EsoTerra Cidery Slowest Bike Race & Cycling Celebration
- Oct. 29 – Holy Cow Advanced Group Ride
* There are still several pending events and promotions for Spoketober 2023 to be announced soon.
Participating organizations include Durango Trails, the Adaptive Sports Association, Fort Lewis College Cycling Team, Team Segment 28, Bike Durango, Durango DEVO, Durango Hot Springs, iAM Music Festival, Animas City Theater, City of Durango, Durango Fire Protection District, Silver Stallion Bicycle & Coffee Works, Durango Public Library, 8th Ave Tavern, Durango Slaydies, Durango BMX, EsoTerra Cidery, VNTR Birds, and Holy Cow Racing.
Be sure to follow Spoketober @SpoketoberDurango and use the #SpoketoberDurango hashtag to keep up to date with the latest events and giveaways.
Media assets can be downloaded here.
To learn more and see the full schedule visit: SpoketoberDurango.com. Spoketober promotions will be listed on the Durango Deals page, and stay tuned to the Sweepstakes page for a chance to win a trip to Durango.
About Spoketober Durango
Spoketober Durango is an annual cycling celebration created by Visit Durango in 2022 with the mission to showcase the local community and commemorate their dedication and passion that made Durango, Colorado one of the top cycling destinations in the nation. Spoketober takes place the entire month of October and features a wide variety of cycling-centric events organized by local organizations, cycling teams, and retailers. To learn more and see the full schedule visit: SpoketoberDurango.com.
About Visit Durango
Visit Durango is an independent nonprofit organization operating with the mission to promote Durango and La Plata County’s multitude of tourism attractions, events, and services. The unbeatable combination of the iconic San Juan Mountains, art galleries, culinary fare, cultural, and historic sites make it the perfect base of operations to explore Southwest Colorado. Experience Visit Durango’s full-service visitor center at the Durango Welcome Center, located at Main Avenue and 8th Street in the heart of historic downtown Durango, or online at durango.org. Follow @visitdurango on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, LinkedIn and Pinterest.