Sun Communities, Inc. Reports 2023 Third Quarter and Year-to-Date Results
October 31, 2023
Net Earnings per Diluted Share of $1.31 for the Quarter
Core FFO per Share of $2.57 for the Quarter Exceeded the High-End of Guidance Range
Total Same Property NOI Grew by 6.7% for the Quarter over the 2022 Period, Exceeding the High-End of Guidance Range by 220 Basis Points
Strong Demand and Effective Expense Management Continue to Drive Outperformance
Same Property Adjusted Occupancy for MH and RV Increased by 170 Basis Points, Year-over-Year
Transient-to-Annual RV Site Conversions of nearly 537 Sites for the Quarter and 1,815 for the Year-to-Date
Revising Full-Year Core FFO per Share Guidance for 2023 to $7.05 – $7.13
Increasing Guidance Range for Full-Year Total Same Property NOI Growth to 6.0% – 6.4%
Establishing Preliminary Guidance for 2024 Rental Rate Increases of 5.4% for MH, 6.5% for Annual RV, and 5.6% for Marina in North America, and 7.1% for UK
Southfield, MI, Oct. 25, 2023 (– Sun Communities, Inc. (NYSE: SUI) (the “Company” or “SUI”), a real estate investment trust (“REIT”) that owns and operates, or has an interest in, manufactured housing (“MH”) and recreational vehicle (“RV”) communities and marinas (collectively, the “properties”), today reported its third quarter results for 2023.
Financial Results for the Quarter and Nine Months Ended September 30, 2023
- For the quarter ended September 30, 2023, net income attributable to common shareholders was $163.1 million, or $1.31 per diluted share, compared to net income attributable to common shareholders of $162.6 million, or $1.32 per diluted share for the same period in 2022.
- For the nine months ended September 30, 2023, net income attributable to common shareholders was $222.8 million, or $1.79 per diluted share, compared to net income attributable to common shareholders of $237.3 million, or $1.97 per diluted share, for the same period in 2022.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
- Core Funds from Operations (“Core FFO”) for the quarter and nine months ended September 30, 2023, were $2.57 per common share and dilutive convertible securities (“Share”) and $5.76 per Share, respectively.
- Same Property Net Operating Income (“NOI”) increased by 6.7% and 6.6% for the quarter and nine months ended September 30, 2023, respectively, as compared to the corresponding periods in 2022.
“In the third quarter, we again delivered strong performance in our core real property portfolio, with Same Property NOI growth and Core FFO exceeding our expectations,” said Gary A. Shiffman, Chairman, President and CEO. “This strength was exhibited across Manufactured Housing, RV and Marinas, all of which demonstrate the continued favorable backdrop of high demand and limited supply. Furthermore, we are positioned for ongoing organic growth with 2024 expected rental rate increases of approximately 5.4% for MH, 6.5% for RV, and 5.6% for Marina in North America and 7.1% for UK.” He continued, “Our current objectives include implementing select changes to help our best-in-class portfolio deliver the FFO per share growth Sun shareholders historically have enjoyed. These changes include selective capital recycling opportunities and using the proceeds to de-lever. With the strength of our core business, which has a positive track record throughout economic cycles, and our focus on our durable cash flow business, we remain confident in our ability to create shareholder value.”
North America Portfolio Occupancy
- Total MH and annual RV occupancy was 97.2% at September 30, 2023, as compared to 97.1% at September 30, 2022.
- During the quarter ended September 30, 2023, the number of MH and annual RV revenue producing sites increased by 744 sites, as compared to an increase of 689 sites during the corresponding period in 2022, an 8.0% increase.
- Transient-to-annual RV site conversions totaled 537 sites during the third quarter of 2023 and account for 72.2% of the revenue producing site gains. Total transient-to-annual RV site conversions totaled 1,815 for the nine months ended September 30, 2023.