Outdoor Research unveils new material and DWR technology tied to major sustainability push for Fall 2024
January 9, 2024
In 2024, OR transitions consumer production away from the intentional use of PFAS, and is global launch partner for new Nikwax DWR treatment.
SEATTLE (January 9, 2024) /OUTDOOR RESEARCH/ – With its Fall 2024 collection, Seattle-based outdoor apparel manufacturer Outdoor Research unveils new materials and DWR technologies on its best-selling and now most sustainable rain collection, paired with the brand’s most significant sustainability efforts to date.
The redesigned Foray and Aspire waterproof shell collections feature an all-new 3L material called AscentShell™ Dry, a highly breathable and windproof/waterproof that maintains its waterproof and breathability rating throughout the lifetime of the garment. The shells will feature an outdoor-industry first — a high performance, factory applied Durable Water Repellent (DWR) treatment free of all intentionally added PFAS called Direct.Dry, from industry leader Nikwax. Outdoor Research is Nikwax’s global launch partner for its factory applied Direct.Dry DWR for Fall 2024. The shells are also the first outdoor-industry performance garments certified as carbon neutral by Climate Impact Partners.
Additionally, Outdoor Research has been proactive in leading the industry’s move away from the use of PFAS. By Spring 2024, 80 percent of OR’s consumer production will be manufactured free of intentionally added PFAS — with nearly 100 percent transitioning for Fall 2024 production.
Outdoor Research also continues to lead the way forward in technology and innovation for outdoor performance, as it has for more than 40 years. Key products free of intentionally added PFAS for Fall/Winter 2024 include:
- The new Foray and Aspire collections are perennial best-sellers in the Outdoor Research line, and feature a range of upgrades for Fall 2024, highlighted by a new high-performance 3L fabric technology called AscentShell™ Dry. Made with bluesign® approved materials, this advanced 3-layer membrane has 20k waterproof and 10k breathable performance, mechanical stretch, and a 100-percent recycled nylon face fabric with a solvent-free TPU hydrophilic membrane. This line is also the first to use exclusive factory-applied Nikwax Direct.Dry DWR technology, offering industry-leading performance in a PFAS-free DWR with a fully rechargeable finish when used with Nikwax aftercare products. The Fall 2024 Foray/Aspire collection is also the first technical apparel in the outdoor industry certified as carbon neutral by Climate Impact Partners. The jacket employs OR’s signature TorsoFlo™ hip-to-bicep venting system.
- Offered in three styles, the new Team Glove collection was created in conjunction with OR’s snow ambassador team, with input on key areas of overlay reinforcement for durability. This premium undercuff glove features bluesign® approved stretch-woven fabric for durability, goat leather palms, GORE-TEX ePE waterproof construction free of intentionally added PFAS, as well as 200-gram insulation on the back of the hand and 130-gram in the palm. They also use durable and tactile outseam construction and touch compatibility.
- Crafted with bluesign® approved and GORE-TEX 3L ePE fabric free of intentionally added PFAS, the Headwall Gore-Tex 3L Jacket and Pant is a powerhouse against the elements. With its alpine-focused feature set and industry leading materials, this kit offers protection in the most extreme weather conditions. OR-signature features like the TorsoFlo™ venting system, which extends from hem to bicep, allows precise body temperature regulation.
- Employing a fully recycled 20D shell and liner fabric and 700+RDS down paired with unique baffle construction, the new Transcendent Down Hoodie, Jacket and Vest bring back a fan favorite, universally loved for its packability, warmth and versatility. The collection is OR’s most versatile down layer.
- In Spring 2024, Outdoor Research unveils its first mountain-bike specific collection. That grows for Fall 2024 with the Freewheel Ride Pants, meticulously crafted to offer a blend of durability and comfort for high-performance colder-weather trail riding. Crafted from a bluesign® approved fabric, they deliver a perfect balance of stretch and durability, paired with side zips, a bonded back waistband, and DuraPrint™ overlays at the inner ankle for added abrasion resistance.
Along with a range of other new products, the new Fall 2024 collection will be available to consumers starting late summer 2024.
About Outdoor Research
Since 1981, Outdoor Research has created trusted apparel, accessories, and equipment for you to thrive outside. Our award-winning outdoor gear is meticulously researched and tested for outdoor enthusiasts and military users around the globe. Grounded in our values of curiosity, passion, innovation, collaboration, and community, we strive to create space for all in the outdoors. We celebrate wins outside at every level together with our ambassadors, non-profit partners, and employees. For more information, visit www.outdoorresearch.com.
Media Contact: Verde Brand Communications | (970) 235-0268 | email@example.com