Route Werks Launches on Kickstarter, Funds in 6 Hours
October 8, 2020
The Handlebar Bag reimagines the traditional cycling bag.
PAWTUCKET, RI – Route Werks, a new cycling and outdoor solutions company, recently launched their first product on Kickstarter on September 22. The launch was met with incredible enthusiasm, and The Handlebar Bag by Route Werks blew past its funding goal just hours after the campaign went live. With nearly 1000 pre-orders and over two weeks left to go, the team of passionate designers and cyclists at Route Werks continues to be amazed by the support of their growing community.
When you dig into the details, it’s easy to see why The Handlebar Bag is so unique. “There are a number of bar-mounted bags on the market already,” explains co-founder Justin Sirotin, “but all of them lack something critical.” The frequent riders on the team are very familiar with the shortcomings of bags available today: they are often difficult to access while riding, they rattle and shake throughout a ride, and many have bulky or awkward mounting solutions that take up valuable handlebar space, cramping hand positions and leaving little or no room for accessories like lights or bells.
The Route Werks team set out to reimagine the experience of the traditional bag. The Handlebar Bag by Route Werks easily integrates with phones, computers, GPS devices, and more through what they call a universal “Tech Mount” on the top of the bag. The Tech Mount supports the Quad Lock® mounting system as well as Bar Fly and K-Edge style adapters, allowing riders to use their existing accessories and easily purchase new ones as their needs change. A spring-loaded latch allows a rider to open the rigid top with one hand, providing instant access to bag contents even while riding. And to free up even more space on the handlebars, threaded accessory mounts on either side of the bag allow riders to mount accessories like bells and lights directly to the bag.
The Handlebar Bag is thoughtfully designed to hold all of the essentials for a great ride, from a commute to work to a weekend bike tour. With machined aluminum hardware throughout, riders can be confident that this bag will last for many years to come.
The Handlebar Bag
Planned MSRP: $179
Available on Kickstarter starting at $119
- Water resistant materials throughout
- 500d PU coated Cordura (exterior)
- Gridded nylon ripstop (interior)
- Polycarbonate (lid)
- Machined aluminum (all hardware)
- Dimensions: 145mm x 235mm x 153mm / 5.8in x 9.3in x 6in
- Volume: 3.2L
- Max carry weight: 4kg / 9lbs
- Weight (bag + mount): 684g / 1.5lbs
- Bike mount: fits 31.8mm diameter handlebars (down to 25.4mm handlebars with adapters)
Access & Organization
- Opens away from rider with spring-loaded latch
- Two external pockets, expandable
- Three snap-close internal pockets, one zipper pouch with water resistant zipper
- Shock-cord on top and bottom for extra layers, etc.
- Stiffeners provide shaping even while empty
- Tech Mount supports Bar Fly, K-Edge, and Quad Lock adapters
- Easy on/off lever to remove bag in one motion
- Included lightweight shoulder strap for when bag is not on bike
About Route Werks
Based in Rhode Island, Route Werks creates gear for cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts that makes getting outside as easy as possible. We design all of our products in-house, oftentimes producing our first prototypes by hand in our Rhode Island studio. Our talented team of designers, engineers, and researchers are passionate adventurers with years of experience designing and delivering beautiful, functional products that solve problems in a thoughtful and sustainable way. Check us out at RouteWerks.us
Route Werks is a spinoff of OCTOpd, a product design and development firm that specializes in integrated technology solutions, med-tech, consumer goods, software development, and brand experiences. www.octopd.com