WANDRD Releases the FERNWEH Backpacking Bag & ROUTE Chest Pack on Kickstarter
June 17, 2020
The perfect companion for that inaugural trip beyond your current reality, the FERNWEH pushes the boundaries of comfort, access and versatility, with the polished design WANDRD always delivers.
Salt Lake City, UT (June 17, 2020) – In German, fernweh (FEIRN-Veyh) means “farsickness,” or a longing for a far off place — a feeling all too familiar for many of us right now. With this farsickness and wanderlust in mind, WANDRD launched their first backpacking pack, the FERNWEH, on Kickstarter today.
“At WANDRD, we’re all about creating carry solutions that are truly the best they can be. So, as we were looking at the products we want to carry us throughout our days, we saw gaps in options for camera, backpacking bags — specifically in comfort, access and versatility,” says Spencer Cope, WANDRD co-founder and lead designer.
WANDRD’s FERNWEH is the perfect companion for that inaugural adventure beyond your current reality. From backpacking, ski touring, climbing, to weekend getaways, and everything in between, the FERNWEH pushes the boundaries of comfort, access, and versatility, no matter where you take it.
Comfort: A bag is only as good as it is comfortable, and WANDRD spared no expense in designing a solution that is completely customizable. The FERNWEH comes in two different frame sizes. Both the shoulder strap and waist strap are completely removable and available in two different sizes as well, and the shoulder strap height can be adjusted up or down.
- Sizes: Small/Medium and Medium/Large
- Removable shoulder straps and contoured hip belt
- Breathable, durable slotted EVA foam and Airmesh back panel, straps and belt
Access: With 4 access points into the main compartment of the bag, your gear is always handy when you need it. The front and back clamshell mean your bag doesn’t turn into a black hole, and the quick-draw side access gives you instant access to your camera so you’ll never miss a shot.
- Grab handles on top, bottom and both sides; serve as pass through for luggage handle
- 4 Access points to main body of bag, including quick draw side access opening
- Hidden passport pocket
- Removable bucket to segment gear
Versatility: The organization on the FERNWEH not only makes the bag highly functional, it also makes it extremely versatile. Whether you are trekking in the Himalayas, hostel hopping through Europe, hiking through the Wasatch or backcountry skiing a bit closer to home, this bag can do it all.
- Hydration bladder compatible with a sealed water-secure spot away from your camera gear
- Oversized zippered water bottle storage pocket
- Stowable ski carry straps and ice axe loops
- Multi-point exterior accessory loops
- Stowable sleeping bag/pad or tripod carry system
- High quality webbing loops throughout exterior of the pack
- Volume: 50L
- Weight: 5lbs
- Exterior Dimensions: 25” X 13.75” X 9.5”
- YKK Zippers
- Laptop size: 15” MACBOOK PRO
- Exterior Materials: 420D NYLON 5PM COATED, 630D NYLON
- Interior Materials: 200D POLYESTER
- Coating: Durable water-based PU coating on main exterior fabric
- Available Colors: Black & Gobi Tan
- Kickstarter Price: $279
- Retail: $349
Alongside the FERNWEH pack, WANDRD launched the ROUTE, a convertible chest pack for your camera and/or more that can be worn around the neck, over the shoulder or attached to the FERNWEH’s shoulder straps. A versatile “snap-back” lid allows the top to snap open and closed so the contents always stay dry and clean.
WANDRD was born from two brothers who weren’t satisfied with the status quo. Creating photography gear with innovative functionality for travel, commuting and anywhere else life takes you, WANDRD started with a singular idea: a perfect travel camera bag. And while we’ve grown into a thriving team of passionate travelers, photographers, and creators, the same principles that founded our company run strongly through our veins. Our mission is simple: to inspire people to get out and live passionately; exploring, creating, and living life in the moment. We just happen to do that by creating the world’s best gear.