Black Diamond Equipment’s Winter 2016-17 Product Line Recognized for Excellence
November 10, 2016
Backpacker magazine bestows two editors’ choice awards
Salt Lake City (Nov. 10, 2016) – Black Diamond Equipment®, a global innovator in climbing, skiing, mountain sports equipment and apparel, today announced a series of awards for its upcoming 2016/17 apparel and equipment product lines.
The annual Backpacker Editors’ Choice Awards honors the products that Backpacker editors have chosen as the best of the year. With no set categories for the awards and no set numbers of recipients, the products and product testing process drives the award categories. Of 12 total products nominated for winter 2016, Black Diamond’s First Light Hoody and Helio Fixed Length Carbon Ski Pole were honored as recipients of the 2016 Backpacker Editors’ Choice Award in recognition of the products’ respective outstanding innovation in design, materials and performance.
Black Diamond’s most breathable insulated jacket, the First Light Hoody, serves as a solution for high output, start and stop activities in cold weather where versatility, breathability and durability are key. It is constructed with lightweight Schoeller® and packed with PrimaLoft® Silver Insulation Active. Additionally, its Helio Fixed Length Carbon Ski Pole is built with 100% inflation-molded carbon fiber for the ultimate combo of strength and lightweight performance at only 9oz per pair. The Helio Fixed Length Carbon Ski Pole will be the lightest ski pole on the market.
In addition to the two awards from Backpacker, a variety of Black Diamond products received nods from additional outdoor media outlets, including Backcountry Magazine, Freeskier Magazine and Powder Magazine, among others.
“Black Diamond’s exhaustive R&D process, lab time and field testing continues to benefit our competitiveness and ability to earn these accolades,” said Doug Heinrich, Vice President of Products for Black Diamond Equipment. “Recognition by respected industry media outlets conveys our understanding consumers’ demands and drives our relevant, thoughtfully designed, high-performance gear for skiers, climbers and mountain athletes.
North American editorial product awards for Black Diamond for winter 2016 include:
- Backcountry Magazine awarded “Gear Guide Select” awards to the Boundary 107 ski, Helio 116 ski, Helio 95 ski and Fritschi Diamir Vipec binding.
- Backpacker Magazine awarded “Editors’ Choice” awards to the First Light Hoody and Helio Fixed Length Carbon Ski Pole.
- Blister Buyer’s Guide awarded “Blister Recommended 16/17” to the Helio 105 ski, Boundary 107 ski, UltraLite Mix STS Climbing Skins, Ascension STS Climbing Skins, GlideLite Mix STS Climbing Skins, women’s Sharp End Shell, Helio Alpine Shell and Fritschi VIPEC 12 AT binding.
- Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine awarded “Peak Gear Awards” to the Iota headlamp and Ozone climbing harness.
- Freeskier Magazine awarded an “Editor’s Pick” award to the PIEPS Micro avalanche beacon.
- NationalGeographic.com awarded Fall/Winter 2016 “Gear of the Year” to the Helio Fixed Length Carbon Ski Pole.
- Powder Magazine awarded “Skier’s Choice” awards to the Boundary 107 and Helio 105 skis.
- TransWorld SNOWboarding awarded “Tested and Approved” awards to the Saga 40 JetForce Avalanche Airbag Pack and Crew Glove.
Black Diamond Equipment is a manufacturer of equipment and clothing for climbing, skiing and mountain sports. By consistently building innovative, standard-setting products and actively preserving the mountain/canyon environment, Black Diamond Equipment has assumed a leadership role in the international outdoor community. For more information on Black Diamond Equipment, visit BlackDiamondEquipment.com