Nominate a Leave No Trace Hot Spot for 2018 April 1 through May 15
March 31, 2017
Nominate an outdoor area for a week-long education and training program from the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics in 2018.
March 31, 2017, Boulder, Colo.: Beginning April 1st through May 15th, the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is calling for nominations for the 2018 Hot Spot program. Hot Spots are all public lands — city parks, forests, open space land, national parks — across the country that have sustained damaged from overuse. The Hot Spot program provides weeklong, onsite education and events, engaging the local community in training, service and outreach.
In its sixth year, the Leave No Trace Hot Spot program has helped dozens of damaged public lands regain their health and long-term sustainability. By identifying and working with Hot Spots across the nation, we rapidly move toward recovery and protection of these places and their American heritage into the future.
The Center intends to do the following:
- Nominations are accepted April 1 – May 15, with up to 20 Hot Spots being selected for 2018.
- Nominations will be accepted from land managers, youth serving and educational organizations, partners, members, individuals, and governmental agencies for areas with recreation-related impacts that could be successfully mitigated through effective Leave No Trace programs.
- Chosen Hot Spots will receive the following:
- Consultation on solutions and program implementation from the Center.
- A week-long set of programs lead by expert Leave No Trace Traveling Trainers.
- Training workshops for volunteers, employees, and key members of the community.
- Locally-tailored programs to meet site-specific needs.
- Leave No Trace educational materials.
- Volunteer citizen monitoring programs.
- Assistance in putting the Leave No Trace program into action.
Nomination Deadline: May 15, 2017 for 2018 Hot Spot Program.
See what Andrew Downs, Appalachian Trail Conservancy Regional Director, had to say about our Hot Spot visit at McAfee Knob. (Click the link to watch video).
Leave No Trace is a national, nonprofit organization that protects the outdoors by teaching people to enjoy it responsibly: www.LNT.org. To learn more and watch videos about previous Hot Spots, visit https://lnt.org/get-involved/hot-spots.