ViewRanger Launches First Hiking App for Apple Watch Series 2
November 23, 2016
Detailed trail guides delivered to the wrist of outdoor enthusiasts
(November 23, 2016) – ViewRanger, a leading developer in outdoor GPS and augmented reality, today launched the first hiking app for Apple Watch Series 2, available to download from the App Store now.
First unveiled and demonstrated live on stage during Apple’s keynote in September, ViewRanger’s latest smartwatch app provides turn-by-turn directions and live trip stats for thousands of outdoor route guides across the USA and UK.
With a quick glance at the watch, ViewRanger users can pinpoint their exact GPS location on digital maps, access detailed route descriptions, and learn interesting facts about the landscape around them.
The free app, which delivers a tap on the wrist to alert hikers when they reach a key point on their route, works with all versions of Apple Watch when paired with an iPhone, and is optimized to work as a standalone app using the built-in GPS on Apple Watch Series 2.
ViewRanger for Apple Watch contains more than 9,000 detailed trail guides, from key publishing partners such as Backpacker magazine, BBC Countryfile magazine and National Park authorities, with more being added every day. Each route guide includes directional arrows, navigation notes, and photographs about the surrounding landscape, allowing users to access key information about the trail they’re navigating with a quick glance at their watch.
- Download and store up to three routes on your Apple Watch. Routes are sent from the free ViewRanger app for iPhone
- Get notified with a tap on the wrist as you reach key points on your route
- Receive turn-by-turn directions, photographs, and interesting facts
- View live stats including distance travelled, elevation gain, and trip time
- Track your progress on a live overview map
- Fill the Move, Exercise and Stand rings in the Activity app as you follow routes
- Follow driving directions to your route’s starting point via Apple Maps
- Explore offline without mobile or data connection
Free to download
ViewRanger for Apple Watch is available as a free update to the ViewRanger app in the Apple App Store. To learn more visit www.viewranger.com
- Backpacker – the USA’s leading backpacking, camping and hiking magazine
- Elevation Outdoors – the leading guide to outdoor sports and adventure travel in Colorado and beyond
- BBC Countryfile – official magazine of Britain’s most popular outdoor TV show
- Mountain Biking UK magazine – Britain’s best-selling mountain bike magazine
- South Downs National Park – one of the UK’s most popular national parks, with millions of visitors every year
- Transform Scotland – leading campaigner for sustainable travel in Scotland
- The Chiltern Society – environmental group conserving the heritage and landscape of England’s famous Chiltern Hills
- Natural Resources Wales – largest Welsh government sponsored body, and advisor on key environmental and natural resource issues
ViewRanger is the outdoor discovery app, helping millions of active people worldwide to plan, navigate, record and share their adventures. ViewRanger contains hundreds of thousands of downloadable route guides, provides free maps covering the whole world, delivers powerful GPS and augmented reality navigation features, and allows users to record tracks and view live trip stats. The app also works offline without phone or data signals anywhere in the world.
More than 600 partners, such as Backpacker magazine, BBC Countryfile magazine, National Park Authorities, Julia Bradbury’s The Outdoor Guide, official tourism agencies, and travel writers, use the app to publish their route content to ViewRanger’s global audience.
ViewRanger is used and trusted by more than 200 search and rescue teams across Europe, US, and Canada. Learn more at: www.viewranger.com
Images and ViewRanger Media Kit: http://bit.ly/ViewRangerMediaKit