The short docu-style film features Nadia Mercado and her mother, Clariza Valdez, and their connection to natural spaces and each other
ROCKFORD, Mich. (May 9, 2019) — “Mi Mamá” follows Nadia Mercado and her mother, Clariza Valdez, as they go back to Arches National Park in Moab to experience the natural space together. The film unveils how Nadia fell in love with the outdoors at a young age, and how her mother’s spirit lives within her.
In celebration of Mother’s Day, Merrell is featuring Nadia and Clariza’s story, and providing $10,000 to them to support an organization of their choice that is making a positive impact within outdoor communities. Nadia chose Soul Fire Farm, an organization committed to ending racism and injustice in the food system.
Read a letter from Nadia to her mother, Clariza, on the Merrell blog.
Nadia Mercado to her mother, Clariza Valdez said, “This film is not just meant to honor me, mom. This film is here to honor you. I thank you for all that you have sacrificed. Because of you I have been able to climb mountains, swim in waterfalls, hike through meadows, and soar through the sky.”
Director, Jade Begay said, “Nadia and Clariza’s story was a joy to actualize into this short film. It was emotional for me as I saw my own story within theirs as a person whose single mother also helped them in developing a relationship with nature. I think that’s the power of this short film. That it’s so relatable to so many people and more so than the status quo outdoor/adventure stories we tend to see. It’s my hope that this story and all it represents will embolden girls, women, people of color, immigrants and Indigenous peoples to never mold their story to “fit” into the outdoor/adventure space, but rather to love, respect, and honor their own stories of how they found a relationship with the natural world.”
Strick Walker, CMO at Merrell said, “We were honored to have the opportunity to amplify Nadia and Clariza’s story. We hope their connection to the outdoors inspires and welcomes others to experience the trail in their own ways.”
- 60 second cut for social: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxuffw04lokucb0/2019.05.03_FINAL%20FILM_4_SOCIAL_MEDIA.mp4?dl=0
- Full length film on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFXnnrcDzrw&t=9s
- Still images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l1xobysk6le1vsz/AABTM_uDoKvtLNHi0GCRsljWa?dl=0
- Nadia Mercado: https://www.instagram.com/flying_tortuga/
- Merrell: https://www.instagram.com/merrell/
- Brand: Merrell
- Directors: Jade Begay and James ‘Q’ Martin
- Producers: Jayme Dittmar, Sheila Smithson, and Chris Steinkamp
- Directors of Photography: Sam Price-Waldman, Shaandiin Tome
- Editors: Blake McCord / McCord Media
- Associate Editors: Olivia Abtahi / Oblivia Media LLC, Jayme Dittmar, James ‘Q’ Martin
- Screenplay: Jayme Dittmar
For additional information or a downloadable file of the film, please reach the Merrell contact below.
Merrell® exists to give you all you really need to discover the simple yet profound power of the trail. We believe the trail is for everyone. Our goal is to provide thoughtfully designed, rigorously tested products that over-deliver on performance, versatility and durability. Because when you’ve got air in your lungs and good shoes on your feet, you’ve got everything you need. Visit Merrell.com or follow us on social at @merrell and @merrelloutside.